In this economic climate, everyone is out to save a buck. You can save a buck; and a lot more by couponing but, please make sure you do it ethically. Here are ten rules that you should always follow to keep you on track.
1. DON’T USE EXPIRED COUPONS.
They are accepted in some stores, but in stores where it is against their policy – don’t! We all know that you can get away with it sometimes, but that does not make it right or ethical.
2. ALWAYS USE THE COUPONS FOR THE PRODUCTS THEY WERE INTENDED FOR.
3. UNDERSTAND AND FOLLOW THE RESTRICTIONS AND THE REQUIREMENTS ON THE COUPON.
Always read the coupon carefully and follow any restrictions or requirements that are mentioned. Buy the quantity or the variety required, not all cashiers are aware of the restrictions but it is up to you to use the coupons ethically.
4. NEVER DECODE A COUPON IN AN ATTEMPT TO MISUSE IT.
This practice is in no way ethical. There is a flaw in the system which allows people to use the coupon for an item it was not intended for, without setting off any alarms at the cash register. Taking advantage of flaws in the system is not the ethical thing to do.
5. NEVER ALTER COUPONS.
6. NEVER MAKE PHOTOCOPIES OF PRINTABLE COUPONS.
This is highly unethical and just wrong in so many ways.
7. NEVER CLEAR THE SHELVES.
It would be nice if you took others into consideration and left some of the products on sale for them. I mean, how could you possibly need so many of any one item in your house anyhow?
8. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK ANY FREE COUPON TO FIND OUT IF IT IS LEGITIMATE.
If something seems too good to be true, it most probably isn’t. Make sure you take the time to find out.
9. DON’T ABUSE THE SELF-CHECKOUT SYSTEM.
Once again there are flaws in this system, but you should never abuse them. This just boils down to common decency.
10. USE YOUR COUPONING POWER FOR GOOD.
Coupons can be used for good in so many ways. Buy extra with your coupons and donate to those in need. You will still benefit from the savings, but you will also make someone else’s life a little easier.